Tuesday, July 1, 2008

THE LAST OF THE HOME CHALLENGE

Whew! I know it is now a new month. But last week of June was a very busy week for me.
I did not neglect my challenge I just did not get to get photos or the posting done. We are knee deep in putting by our garden harvest. I am not complaining, just stating a fact.
The Lord blessed us well for the small garden we planted this year. I have 2 small blueberry bushes and a single peach tree that bore well enough this year to enjoy several homemade cobblers. I only wish I could have shared it with you all.
My peach tree has had problems since the hurricane so we cleaned it up, pruned it very hard and fertilized it well and gave it a last chance. We had decided if it didn't bear fruit this year we were going to cut it down. Hmmm.... I remember this analogy from a Bible lesson. We are still harvesting eggplant, tomatoes, peppers and the Okra is starting soon. Almost a staple here in the south. I am hoping that my cantaloupe and watermelon bear well, but it is getting very hot! We will see....
It is times like yesterday that make me happy that we made the choice years ago to raise our children in the country and live a simpler life Even though it meant a long commute for my husband.
A couple of our grandchildren came over yesterday to visit and decided to take a dip in the above ground pool we set up in our backyard. I heard one of them tell the other with childish delight. I am SO glad we live in the country. I was so blessed to be sitting with my daughter and my newest granbaby on the near by porch and over heard this. It gave me such a feeling of contentment.
Both of my children chose to return to the country. Tried the town living on for size and said it wasn't for them. It was a nice place to visit but didn't want to live there type of thing. It gives you a satisfied feeling to know you have chosen well.
In keeping with the home challenge..to make our home more inviting and comfy. We maintain that pool religiously., which is no easy task with this humidity. We spruced up the gazebo and keep a ready supply of towels, sunblock, and liquids on hand. We enjoy gathering on the back porch/yard a to visit to laugh, to eat, to play and even to worship some times. When the mosquitoes permit we watch the lightning bugs or the stars.
Simple to some yes, but it is the stuff memories are made of, I have them from my own childhood. I will post some photos later. Deborah

2 comments:

Paula said...

Dear Deborah,

What a delightful post!!! Thank you for sharing your sweet thoughts about family, home- life and country living. A little over a year and a half ago we sold our home in the city and bought this home in our spot in the country. We are so happy and my husband and son love living on the lake and going fishing. We are blessed to live a simple life and enjoy simple things. You are right the country is a great place to raise children.

Well, my fellow Louisiana friend, it certainly is hot and humid isn't it? The little bit of lettuce left is on the verge of bolting. I am thankful it lasted this long. Everything is growing well, but not much to harvest. We started everything from seed and I was just wondering if you did the same and planted earlier than me since you are already having a harvest. We want to grow blueberries and peaches too.

Thank you so much for visiting me and for your kind comments. I think your antique gravy boats would be lovely tied with ribbon hanging from the rafters. You know I have seen homes in magazines with baskets, dried flowers and such hanging from the rafters. It is so old- fashioned and sweet looking.

The Cottage Kitchen sign was painted by a sweet lady on ebay. It is an old lightweight metal tray that she painted and hung by ribbons. Oh, I would love to paint roses like that. I painted a sign over the weekend, but my roses are not as pretty as hers!

Have a lovely week!
The Lord bless you!
Paula

~~Deby said...

Deborah,
We are matched for the Summer swap....you can email me with some hints..or colors or anything at:
yesipray at gmail dot com

Deby